In this video tutorial lesson you will learn the French word for to try, the present tense conjugation and also provide some example sentences. In the infinitive or mother form the verb is “Essayer”.
However, when we conjugate verb we need to delete the “Y” and use an “I”. This is because the French language has evolved over time and the modern language an I is now used.
[jwplayer config=”Custom Player Test” mediaid=”1089″]
Present tense conjugation
- j’essaie – I try
- tu essaies – you try
- il, elle essaie – he, she tries
- nous essayons – we try
- vous essayez – you try
- ils, elles essaient – they try
You’ll notice that for the nous, vous and iles/elles pronouns the “S” is linked to the first letter of Essayer. This is because the first letter of the verb is a vowel and leaving out that S sound would not sound good to the French year.
Practice the sentences and it will help you to get used to using the verb to try.
- J’essaie d’apprendre le français. I try to learn French.
- Tu essaies de perdre du poids. You try to lose weight.
- On essaie d’aller plus vite. We try to go faster.
- Ils essaient d’arriver à l’heure. They try to arrive on time.