“Se mettre en quatre pour quelqu’un” is a French expression that translates literally to “to split yourself into four [pieces]”. Here are some English meanings:
- to bend over backwards for somebody
- to do everything for somebody
- to put yourself out for somebody
- to go out of your way for somebody
Another meaning could to to completely devote yourself or to do everything possible using all your efforts.
Here’s an example sentence:
- Pierre s’est mis en quatre pour que ses enfants puissent profiter des vacances mais ils étaient ingrats. Pierre bent over backwards so that his kids could enjoy vacation but they were ungrateful.
Here are some synonyms:
- se décarcasser – to bend over backwards
- se démener – to go out of your way to do something
- se démancher – to make an effort